It's good to start thinking about high school while your child is in middle school. High school requires students to be increasingly responsible for learning. So help your child prepare for the future. For example, she should:
- Study at the same time each day.
- Develop a system for organizing schoolwork
- Take good notes to use before tests.
- Talk about school with you regularly.
- Sign up for classes that build a foundation for high school. Visit the high school and attend fun events there
- Read about high school organizations that interest her
- Imagine what she'll like about high school, such as friends and activities.
http://www.ed.pdx.edu/spedcoun/HollandKnutsonKottkeMarliaMontgomery2.pdf Source: Stacey Kottke, et al., "Creating a Successful Transition from Middle School to High School"