Dear King Parents,
As you know, the school year has been shortened by five (furlough) days for this year as one of many efforts by the District to close a $640 million budget gap. This savings will allow class sizes to remain at current levels for all grades. The important date changes for this school year will be:
· Friday, May 28, 2010, “Non-Instructional Day – School Not In Session”. (This connects to the Monday, May 31, 2010, “Memorial Day Holiday – School Not In Session” creating a four day weekend.)
· Culmination for grade 8 will take place, by PLE, on Thursday June 17 and Friday June 18, 2010.
· Thursday June 17 and Friday June 18, 2010 will both be Minimum Days. Students will be dismissed at 12:28 p.m.
· Friday, June 18, 2010, last day of school.
Please know that your assistance in making adjustments for your children and family are appreciated.
With May comes the California Standards Test (CST). The CST is composed of a series of assessments on academic content standards in specific areas including English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies. Our students will test May 10 – May 21, 2010. To encourage our students to do well on the CST, the following contests are being held;
· CST Video Contest: Students may enter a video (no more than 2 minutes long) on test taking tips to encourage their classmates to do well on the test. 1st Prize-$50, 2nd Prize-$30, 3rd Prize - $20.
· Perfect Attendance Contest during CST Testing. Homerooms that have perfect attendance during the CST testing window will be entered in a raffle. Five Homerooms with perfect attendance will receive a Pizza Party.
· CST Door Decorating Contest: The winning homeroom will receive an ice cream party and $200 worth of classroom supplies.
Please feel free to contact me at 323-644-6700 should you have questions or concerns.
Kristen K. Murphy, Ed.D. Principal
COLLEGE STARTS AT KING!!!