The purpose of Project Higher Learning, GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is to ensure all students every opportunity to be academically and financially aware of post secondary opportunities, including technical school, community college and/or a four-year university/college. The GEAR UP grant is funded by the Federal Department of Education and is designed to serve an entire cohort of students beginning in the 7th grade, and to follow the cohort all the way through high school. Therefore, GEAR UP raises the standards of academic achievement by offering:
- After School Tutoring - Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday 3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. & Tuesday 1:40 p.m. - 3:10 p.m.
- My Access a web based interactive writing program to give students an additional tool for improving their writing skills in extended learning academies and English/Language Arts or ESL classes
- After School Reading Program using the shared inquiry method and Junior Great Books
- Jaime Escalante Enrichment and/or Remediation Program in mathematics for off track students
- Visits to campuses of our partner colleges and universities
- Mentoring session by high school and college students to help middle school students prepare for high school, develop better study skills and access resources in the community as well as in King Middle School
- Counseling session for GEAR UP students and their parents, as well as ongoing networking with parents on attendance patterns, grades, study skills, and strategies
- Parent workshops to inform parents on how to help student prepare for college or vocation school, the resources available for financial aid and the benefits of post-secondary education.