MAGNET NEWS: HIGH SCHOOL INFORMATIONAL NIGHT
What happens after your child leaves King? What are the high school options available? Which high school will best meet the needs of your child?
We are happy to announce our annual high school informational night for all eighth grade families on Thursday, December 3rd from 6:00 to 7:00 pm. Come and find out about the variety of high school programs offered. We will meet in the King school library.
The following schools are sending representatives: Marshall Gifted/High Ability Magnet, Downtown Business, Technology Integration, and Fashion Center Magnet, Los Angeles County High School for the Arts (LACHSA), BRAVO Medical Magnet, Zoo Magnet, Verdugo Hills Multimedia Magnet, and New Central Los Angeles High School #9 for the Visual and Performing Arts.
CHOICES Brochures have been mailed home and are available in the magnet office for those students wishing to apply for a magnet program for the 2010-11 academic year. The deadline this year is Friday, December 18th at 5:00 pm. An original copy of the application must be either mailed and postmarked or returned in-person to the Student Integration Services Office by that time.
All eighth grade magnet students who wish to continue in a magnet program for high school must reapply by filling out the application in the CHOICES brochure. Students are not automatically transferred into a magnet high school. Make sure to submit the application by the deadline.
If you have any questions regarding the CHOICES application process, please contact Mr. Hernandez, magnet coordinator, at (323) 644-6755 or by email at email@example.com.
MAGNET PARENT MEETING
The next magnet parent meeting will take place on Thursday, December 10th, from 6:00 to 7:00 pm in the school library.
Thomas Starr King and Planned Parenthood Los Angeles invite you to participate in a series of workshops about improving your family’s health and well being and the communication between you and your children. Come learn and have fun. Remember to bring your “Passport to Success”. For every six stamps on your passpport you receive a ticket for a grand prize to be raffled off in the Spring. Refreshments and prizes will be provided at each workshop.
1. Self Esteem - November 25, 2009
2. Communication Techniques - December 2, 2009
3. Components fo Sexual Education - December 9, 2009
4. Value and Sexuality - December 16, 2009
5. How to Talk to Your Children about Sexual Issues - January 13, 2010
6. Human Sexual Anatomy - January 20, 2010
7. Birth Control Methods - January 27, 2010
8. Sexually Transmitted Diseases - February 3, 2010
9. HIV/AIDS - February 10, 2010
10. Prenatal Care - February 17, 2010
11. Women’s Health - February 24, 2010
12. Domestic Violence - March 3, 2010
13. Alcohol & Tobacco - March 10, 2010
14. Drug Prevention - March 17, 2010
15. Child Abuse - March 24, 2010