The Thomas Starr King Middle School Cinematic Arts Magnet will provide a diverse learning environment for interdisciplinary exploration in the cinematic arts; to engage individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds; to facilitate exploration of the broad potentials of cinematic arts as ubiquitous tools across multiple domains; to foster individual inquiry, high level collaboration and team-based media production; and develop imaginative critical thinkers who may become leaders in the field of cinematic arts.
- To integrate cinematic arts as a tool to motivate and reinforce the adopted standards-based curriculum.
- To provide students with an opportunity to participate in a multi-perspective approach to knowledge acquisition that focuses on a kinesthetic, rigorous, interdisciplinary, authentic, and project-based learning program that integrates the 21st century skills of technology and filmmaking in all subject areas.
- To develop learners with higher-order thinking skills, such as problem solving, critical thinking and creativity.
- To provide an educational setting that balances the study of cinematic arts with inquiry that is conceptual, critical, social, cultural and historically informed.
- To provide students an opportunity to engage in positive community interactions and service learning through film festival nights and other community gatherings.
For more information, please contact Maria Turcios, Magnet Coordinator, at email@example.com or Valorie Milio, Assistant Principal over Magnet, at firstname.lastname@example.org.